Startup Weekend Youth Cairns
Friday, November 10 - 11, 2017
Friday, November 10 - 11, 2017
Event starts at 7:30 am
S Block, TAFE Cairns
Start a Business in 2 Days
The project will provide youth with life changing opportunities, as they:
- learn soft skills
- work with technology educators and innovators
- consult with mentors
- collaborate with entrepreneurs and industry employers
- participate in tactile learning opportunities
- Equip, empower and motivate regional youth with skills to work towards future proofing their career
- Provide a regional forum where mentors, industry specialists, educators and local entrepreneurs can collaborate
- Provide real life coaching and entrepreneurial skills
- Development of soft skills to improve employability skills, including but not limited to:
- agile planning
- ideas screening
- market validation
- minimum viable product
- stakeholder and community engagement
- Provide opportunity to contribute towards building a start-up ecosystem for our entrepreneurs of tomorrow
- Provide access and opportunity to developing and commercialising innovative products and services
- Provide access and opportunity to network with industry employers and mentors
- Provide access and opportunity to experience-based learning through incubators and innovation hubs such as theSPACE Australasia
- Encourage and support creativity and innovation to develop the participant's individual 'pitch'
- Build team cohesion and entrepreneurial community across multiple schools
Friday November 10th
Saturday November 11th
Alistair recently launched his own company, Mangoesmapping, based here in Far North Queensland and is also the Global Evangelist for Mappt, a disruptive Australian mapping app for Android tablets. Mappt is owned by Takor Group which is soon to be listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX).
Alistair enjoys combining the cut and thrust of business with exploring customer insight, and is intrigued by transformative innovation, disruptive business models and all the opportunities offered in this digital era.
David holds the voluntary position of Pitch Master at The SPACE, a start-up business incubator in Cairns, assisting entrepreneurs to hone their pitching skills. He also coaches the TEDx JCU speakers as well as many individuals in developing their presentation skills.
Dr John Hamilton (Ph.D)
Head Management & Governance, Director E-Business, College of Business, Law and Governance, James Cook University.
Manager Commercialisation, Strategic Policy and Innovation
Coaches and Mentors
Lecturer at JCU School of Business: Project Management & Entrepreneurship
After a year of working as a technology consultant, Nathan now works for a social enterprise called Young Change Agents that runs workshops for youth to see problems as opportunities for their own social enterprise.
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Startup Weekend Youth Cairns team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Techstars Startup Weekend Australia is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
The founder of 4 entrepreneurial Startups and one successful exit, Troy coach’s entrepreneurs and innovators through the commercialisation process from idea screening through to growth and exiting.
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!