Startup Weekend Chennai FinTech Edition
Friday, June 5 - 7, 2015
Friday, June 5 - 7, 2015
Event starts at 6:00 pm
PayPal India Development Center
334, Futura IT Park,
OMR Road, Sholinganallur
Startup Weekend Chennai is back, bigger and better.
Welcome to Startup Weekend Chennai Fintech Edition. Tickets available at - https://in.explara.com/e/swchennai-paypal
1 - What is Fin-Tech ?
Fin-Tech refers to Financial Technology. It encompasses organizations and applications that provide financial services through the engagement of technology. Global investment in FinTech more than tripled to $3 billion in 2013 from $930 million in 2008 and it's one of the most rapidly growing sector. It's an emerging space that is having a global impact on how we are live and do business.
#FinTech is a very broad term and is not related to just payments. Some possible ideas for FinTech:
- E-Wallets - Can there be some innovation in how we store money, coupons, loyalty cards in wallet. Can we have some secure online place to store money, credits, points and redeem it at several places. Check Mobikwik, PayTm,
- Risk Management
- Trading Platforms
- Peer to Peer Lending
- Innovative Payments Solution - We do have big payments giant but it doesn't stop new payments platform from coming up. Can there be a yet more effective way to send money, checkout or give merchants a simple solution to accept payments - BrainTree, Venmo, RazorPay
- CryptoCurrencies - Does bitcoin make you think, why you didn't think of it ? It's unique and great and is not the only player in market. Litecoin, Ripplecoin are some other worth looking for. Can we have some better crypto-currency to disrupt the market ?
- Virtual Currencies - Credits, Airtel money, Paytm credits, Freecharge credits and so many other credits. Many startups have started to included virtual money and a lot can be done still.
- Authentication and Authorization - Simple yet effective methods to secure payments and money.
- Asset management
- Biometric devices for authentication - FinTech is the space after defense that will require this level of security.
- Social media collaboration
- The list is not exhaustive and there are hundred more dimensions to FinTech. So think and explore the area.
This is the second time PayPal will be sponsoring Startup Weekend Chennai. The very first event last year was beyond expectations and this time we plan to make it better. To read more about last years event click here.
Be prepared to drown yourself in the perfect aura of awesomeness and creativity. Meet the best minds of city working and create the next revolution.
How does it work?
We aim to bring together enthusiasts like you to share ideas, form teams, build products, and, most importantly, launch startups.
- Friday: Attendees pitch their ideas and inspire others to join their teams. Teams are therefore created to work on the best ideas.
- Saturday and Sunday: This is where you debate, build, pitch. And build some more. Teams will focus on building a prototype of their idea/product. During this period teams will also focus on customer development, validating their ideas, practicing LEAN Startup methodologies and building a minimum viable product.
- Sunday: In the evening teams demo their prototypes and receive valuable feedback from a panel of experts.
- Hackers and Nerds who can code with speed and skill.
- Domain experts and Business guys who know the market need on the tips of their fingers.
- Designers with a strong aesthetics and strong UI, UX skills.
- Hustlers who can drive the project and can pitch their idea with passion looking to build a fantastic team around their idea.
Why should you join Chennai Startup Weekend ?
- Build a strong network of young aspiring entrepreneurs, well established CEO’s of Chennai and a network amazing angel investors.
- Think, conceive and deliver a product over a weekend. It’s just the energy in the Startup Weekend environment that makes you superproductive. Make your dreams a reality.
- Get one-on-one time with the movers and shakers in your community. Local tech and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends as coaches and judges.
- Startup Weekend alumni span across several continents and scores of cities.
- 300$ worth of Google Cloud Platform credits to build mobile and web apps.
- Free .co domain.
- Food! No compromises on that. Complete meals during the 3 day event.
Annual TiE membership to winners and runners up (1 member from each team).
StartTank - The top three teams will have a chance to enter the Start Tank Incubation Challenge organised by PayPal, which provides early-stage start-ups a world-class incubation space and access to global mentors, angel investors and venture capitalists
August Fest Perks
1. All paid trip to the winning team The August Fest - India's Largest Startup Conference, to only One Winning Team (2 Team Members) chosen from all the Startup Weekends happening across India before August 2015.
2. The Winning Team (3 Team Members) from each city will get Complimentary Tickets to The August Fest 2015 - India's Largest Startup Conference
3. Complimentary Demo Pods @The August Fest for Winning teams (3 teams) with great products related to Internet of Things/Wearable/Health Care Tech.
Contact - email@example.com
Phone - 09840625276
If you want you can follow us on facebook here for updates. Do tell about Startup Weekend Chennai to your friends.
STUDENT: Flat 50% off for all students (Students must carry and show their ID at the event).
OTHERS : Use code "EARLYBIRD" to avail 20% discount.
Buy Ticket at - https://in.explara.com/e/swchennai-paypal
Friday June 5th
Saturday June 6th
Sunday June 7th
GM APAC Technology at PayPal
MD & CEO, Unimity Solution
Subra graduated from NUS with a B.Acc(Hons) and completed his professional year with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia.He has also completed the General Management Program at the Harvard Business School.
He helps entrepreneurs on their journey in a number of ways - (1) angel investing, (2) mentoring those companies, (3) training entrepreneurs through workshops in areas such as business model and start-up finance, and (4) fund raising.
Srikanth has been actively investing in and mentoring startups for the last 10 years, and is currently involved with a US-based healthcare compliance startup, and an India-based predictive analytics startup.
Srikanth leads the Golden Jubilee Alumni Fund activities of IIT Madras. He is a Founding Member of the United Way India board, and also serves on the board of United Way, Chennai.
Srikanth holds a PhD from the Stern School of Business, New York University and a Bachelors degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India
He mentors Startups to see how their Business Models can be enhanced, identifying areas where technology can play a role. And lastly guide them if IBM would have a role to play in Technology and Go to Market. He is mentor to several Accelerators.
He has been responsible for driving many first of its kind initiative for the Startup Ecosystem, like the Smartcamp, CIO Startup Connect, Technology Bootcamps.
Prior to this he has been a Software IT Architect in IBM Software Group for over 12 years. He has developed complex architectural solutions involving a broad array of technologies including: Portal, J2EE, Content Management, Business Integration, Security, Database, Analytics, Smarter Cities, and Infrastructure Monitoring leading in many key wins for IBM.
Radhesh also writes articles on technologies which are published in YourStory and Swarajya Magazines.
Coaches and Mentors
Co-Founder of Magzter & Managing Director and CEO of Dot Com Infoway (Galatta.com), one of India’s premier IT services company.It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to head an IT company, but it takes an entrepreneurial mastermind to transform obstacles into opportunities in the software industry.When Venkatesh C.R. entered the web space in 1996, the Internet was still a distant new technology in India. It was a time when Google was just born, Microsoft was still crawling and Apple was learning to walk. Internet was unheard of in tier II cities like Madurai. But passion makes headway through any thick and thin, and Venkatesh’s interest in emerging web technologies made him pioneer the Internet revolution in Madurai. As President of Internet Users Community of India (Madurai Chapter) for four years from April 1996 to June 2000, Venkatesh C.R. was instrumental in bringing Internet access to Madurai.
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Startup Weekend Chennai FinTech Edition team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Techstars Startup Weekend Chennai is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!