Lalitha Wemel is a community architect based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She is incredibly passionate about fostering entrepreneurship, grassroots leadership, and strong communities. Lalitha has been involved in various startup projects and communities for the better part of the last decade, both in and out of Malaysia. She has a deep love for eloquent minds, adventure, coffee, and travel. She is currently the Regional Manager for Techstars Startup Programs across South East Asia and Oceania, where she works with amazing community leaders to strengthen and empower their local startup ecosystem.
Startup Weekend Kuala Lumpur - Educator Edition
Friday, April 21 - 23, 2017
Friday, April 21 - 23, 2017
Event starts at 6:30 pm
Axiata Tower (Quill 7)
Level 20, 9, Jalan Stesen Sentral 5, Kuala Lumpur Sentral
Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
MAKING IDEAS HAPPEN
Pitch-to-Prototype In One Weekend!
What is Startup Weekend?Startup Weekends are 54-hour long events where developers, designers, marketers, product managers, startup enthusiasts come together to share ideas, build products and launch startups! Teams go from an idea scrawled on a napkin to a working prototype and maybe even paying customers, all within a single weekend. Startup Weekends are a global phenomenon with events being held in 1000+ cities across the world; in Malaysia alone, events have been held everywhere from Kuala Lumpur to Kuching.
Why attend a Startup Weekend?From an education perspective, Startup Weekend: Educator Edition is aimed at providing educators who work with K12 and/or pre-uni students an opportunity to better understand how a start-up ecosystem looks like. It is through this objective that we hope educators have a better idea of the kind of skillsets students may require when heading out into higher education and/or the workforce in today's world.
Startup Weekend provides this opportunity in a short but effective time frame. Many people want to be entrepreneurs, but find it hard to commit on top of study/work/family commitments. Startup Weekends are the ideal high-impact/low-commitment vehicle for you to test both your ideas and yourself to see if entrepreneurship really is your cup of tea. Not everyone can spare 3 months, but everyone has a weekend to spare. (For more reasons, see "What do I get out of it" below).
How does Startup Weekend work?
What do I get out of it?
- As an educator and/or an entrepreneur (budding or not), you will get a taste of what it’s like in the startup world, and learn about the type of skills required to excel in a startup environment. From this you'll also learn a ton first hand about every step of building a startup (at the very least, it’ll be a memorable weekend away from your usual daily routine).
- You might find your perfect co-founder soulmate with whom you’ll go on to launch a multi-million dollar startup, be it on this weekend or down the road.
- You will get a chance to network and mingle with some of the top brass in the Kuala Lumpur entrepreneurship / investing communities as well as the industry experts from Google Education – individuals that would otherwise be very hard to reach – and ask them questions to your hearts content.
- You will greatly expand your network and build lasting relationships with the most innovative, creative and motivated people in Kuala Lumpur. This could mean a new client, employer, business partner, or even a friend!
- Plus, if your team wins, you will get heaps of additional resources and mentorship to help you get your startup off the ground. There are also plenty of investors in the crowd, so if your pitches were something special, you might even get funding (it happens!).
But I’m not an entrepreneur…You don’t have to be! (and if you want to be, this is a great place to start)
At every Startup Weekend, participants come from all walks of life ranging from students to educators, bankers to doctors, even retirees! Worried you don’t have the skills? Thats why we have experienced mentors here to guide you (and Startup Weekends are about learning anyway). Do be ready to spend your entire weekend with us - it's a great learning experience :)
Ready to apply?
- Those interested in applying for “Startup Weekend Kuala Lumpur - Educator Edition” must be 18 years or older with a strong interest in innovation and technology.
- Participants are required to apply online before April 18th, 2017, where you will be directed to an application form that needs to be filled out. No application fee or participation fee is required.
- Registered team members/participants accept the terms and conditions of participation, as well as the use of personal data, and photography/video recording during and after the event by staff and partners of Startup Weekend Kuala Lumpur: Educator Edition for the purposes of producing editorial content and advertising materials.
- Lastly, please note that applicants submitting incomplete application forms or inaccurate information will be disqualified.
Confirmation of participationWe will choose the 60 best applications for Startup Weekend Kuala Lumpur - Educator Edition. Selected applicants will receive an official confirmation via the email address provided in the application, starting on the 12th April, 2017. This confirmation will include a Participant Pack that details all information concerning “Startup Weekend Kuala Lumpur - Educator Edition".
Startup Weekend Kuala Lumpur - Education is a free of charge event and is fully sponsored by Google Education, Malaysia.
Friday April 21st
Saturday April 22nd
Sunday April 23rd
Techstars Startup Weekend Kuala Lumpur is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
Regional Manager, Techstars
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!