Startup Weekend Sustainability Nogales
Friday, December 6 - 8, 2019
Friday, December 6 - 8, 2019
Event starts at 6:30 pm
Museo de Arte de Nogales
Av. Adolfo López Mateos 120, Fundó Legal, Centro
A binational (US/MEX) Startup Weekend for Arizona-Sonora Sustainapreneurs, Environmentalist, Storytellers and Wannabe's
- 💡 What is Startup Weekend?
Do you have an idea you'd like to pursue or a problem you'd like to solve but don't know where to start or who to start with? Startup Weekend is the place to look for a team, create a prototype of your idea, validate your business idea and receive feedback from experienced entrepreneurs, all in one weekend.
- 🙋♀️ An event open for all ages, experience levels and backgrounds, of motivated people with ideas or willing to join other teams and improve the sustainability of their communities and the world. If you’re looking for a team, co-founder, mentors or an idea to leave your mark in the world, Startup Weekend is the event for you.
- 🌳 This edition was inspired in part by Startup Weekend Sustainability Revolution, a global initiative led by volunteers in order to put sustainable development at the forefront of the world stage.
- 🌎 Why a Startup Weekend on sustainability ?🌿 Because environmental sustainability is one of the biggest challenges humanity is facing, it’s our duty to help entrepreneurs find the best solutions to overcome it.
- ✅ The challenges of entrepreneurship in sustainability you can work in during this weekend are diverse:
- Build eco-conceived products & reverse planned obsolescence
- Substitute the disposable by the sustainable
- Reduce food waste
- Foster local production and local distribution
- Build a sustainable agriculture and a sustainable food industry
- Build highly energy efficient products and systems
- Produce sustainable energy
- (Re)Build sustainable buildings
- Design resilient, smart and inclusive cities
- Design Fintech for inclusive sustainable finance and markets
- Build the future of sustainable transportation
- Foster education on sustainability
- 🙆♂️ Don’t be shy and join us to experience an exciting weekend full of all the highs and lows of the life as a startup founder. Even if you think you might be lacking some skills, your ideas and motivation are worth more than you think!
- 🤔 What do you need to bring?
⚡️ Lots of energy! You'll pitch your own idea or listen to others, then vote on the most interesting ideas and form teams with diverse skill sets. You can come with friends, but you’ll get the full experience if you participate in separate teams. Remember, it’s all about the team.
- 🎈Your idea should be something you have not previously worked on and needs to be related with sustainability. Over the course of the weekend you'll be challenged to create a prototype of your MVP, or minimum viable product, that fits the needs of your target customer. You'll get feedback, iterate, build a viable business model and likely pivot your approach entirely!
- ☝️Important: You cannot have worked previously on your idea.
How to participate ?🎟 Startup Weekend is a full weekend long experience.
Your ticket includes:
- Hands-on chance to learn the process for going from concept to creation.
- Opportunity to meet experienced, talented, and passionate entrepreneurs across the Arizona-Sonora region.
- Two professionals workshops.
- Six delicious sustainable meals over the course of the weekend.
- Benefits and discounts from our global partners.
- One-on-one time with amazing mentors.
- Focused time to learn and practice new skills to take back to your job or to take your own idea from concept to creation.
- A new network of developers, designers, and entrepreneurs eager, like you, to change the world.
- All the internet and coffee you can consume.
- Time to present your final pitch to a select panel of judges and investors.
- A LOT OF FUN! Entertainment included; Como Se Dice! and Nogaleria Giant Canvas Exhibit - Get To Know The Artist
Friday December 6th
Saturday December 7th
Sunday December 8th
Priscilla "Nefftys" Rodriguez
Rapper / Artist / Community Organizer
Gerardo "Hide" Frias
Graffiti Artist / Activist / Community Organizer
Antonio "Plak" Lucero
And at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (ETSAM: Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid (UPM) (Higher Technical School of Architecture of Madrid)
I am the principal architect and owner of Sicrearq Architecture + Design
Director of Yogadance Center Nogales Sonora
Esteban Martinez O'Daly
Partner in CM Inc and Economax Sa de CV
Partner in CM inc and Economax Sa de CV whole sale grocery distribution in Ambos Nogales Sonora-Arizona
Owner at CaVida CBD and CH Rivas
Coaches and Mentors
I am also privileged to be an organizer with 1 Million Cups in Downtown Phoenix. Connecting people is my thing, and being able to do so every wednesday, while also helping build a community of connectors is amazing.
When I am not doing that I work with a local Arizona non-profit that specializes in helping small businesses owners of underrepresented groups (Woman, Latinx, Black, Native American) start and succeed in business. I left social work to be able to hone my craft and help small businesses bring money into their communities, and this is my genuine passion.
SGNT has created the first and only single-platform low-cost solution to successfully prove the authenticity of goods. This patent-pending technology creates a barrier (or wrap) around or within a package, seal, or container which can encompass the entire packaging. This barrier can detect with certainty if it has ever been cut or tampered, and once it has been tampered, it cannot re-assembled. This innovation is an enhancement to industry standard Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags, which records and wirelessly reports the event to any authorized parties.
He studied business administration at the Instituto Technologico de Nogales and later worked at a technical school, where he taught accounting, economics and business. At NCD Yescas aims to create long-term economic growth in Nogales by providing help to entrepreneurs, small-business owners and job seekers.
Besides teaching, investigation and book writing activities, she has designed and operated about 12 years an educative and diffusion project in the area of rocks, minerals and mining.
As an entrepreneur and purpose-driven community builder, German Urrego is out to change the way people experience the health care system in Spanish. German is a proud (DREAMER) who knows the meaning of hard work (REAL HARD WORK). He is passionate about everything (LATINO) and admires everyone that leaves everything behind in search of the (AMERICAN DREAM).
Lastly, He is one of the founders lead SEO at Moja SEO, chief executive hustler at Hustle Everyday and CEO of Unividoc... The first global Telehealth marketplace allowing Hispanics to see doctor all over the world and get a prescription if needed.
Peter is a serial entrepreneur from Silicon Valley with diverse technology company background. He is experienced in leading organizations from early stage start-ups through large high-tech public companies. He is an electrical engineer with an MBA and has held positions such as senior electrical design engineer, product manager, EVP sales and marketing, business unit head and CEO. His career highlights include the creation of a disruptive strategic business unit, which he grew to more than $52 million in annual revenue within five years of inception.
He has mentored and or led SaaS, sensing, IoT, safety, VoIP, biofuels, hydrogen fuel cells, integrated circuit, industrial automation, process controls and numerous other technology and services companies.He has mentored and advised over two thousand teams at incubators and accelerators at University of California Berkeley, University of Arizona and the MIT Enterprise Forum. He is focused on developing strong entrepreneurs and not just the formation of viable startups. His international mentees came to him from more than 10 countries. Peter challenges teams to be self-reliant, to think out of the box and to assess opportunities from the perspective of customers, partners and other stakeholders.
He subscribes to, advocates and teaches such concepts as lean canvas, agile business and development practices, customer discovery interviews, minimum viable product, and pivoting vs just creating elaborate business plans. He’s helped companies build out their teams, tell a compelling story, identify and protect IP, connect with industry experts, get MVP into customers’ hands, reach product market fit, pitch to investors and acquire funding.
She has worked in the public sector in decentralized agencies of the state government in areas associated with human capital management. Likewise, in the institutions of higher education where she worked, she has held administrative positions. She is currently the Coordinator of the Degree in “Organizational Communication” at the University of Sonora Campus Nogales where she is a full-time teacher.
Her research has been related to management and marketing issues in customer citizenship behavior, organizational cynicism, organizational learning among others.
She is a member of the National System of Researchers (SIN), has a Desirable Profile (PRODEP) is a member of the Mexican Network of Researchers in Organizational Studies (REMINEO), Mexican Association of Researchers and Professionals in Organizational Communication (AMIPCO). She is part of the editorial committee of the INVURNUS Magazine, reviewer of several national and international journals indexed in ELSEVIER, dictator of various publications and academic events in Mexico and Colombia.
Dr. Esquer has been an enthusiastic promoter of sustainable development in his community and has participated in several initiatives on environmental awareness. Additionally, he has also authored and co-authored articles in scientific/academic publications with international recognition, as well has been speaker and lecturer in international events.
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Startup Weekend Sustainability Nogales team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Techstars Startup Weekend Nogales is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
Lead at Startup Unidos Youth
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!