5 questions with Startup Weekend mentor John Enlow
This post originally appeared on blog.up.co
John Enlow is the CTO of AD Instruments, a global leader in creating innovative scientific systems. John graduated from the University of Otago with a PhD and BSc in Mathematics, which he has used over the last decade to build successful startups and, more recently, run the R&D department at ADI. John will be bringing his invaluable experience to Startup Weekend as a mentor, so we caught up with him to ask him a few questions.
1) What is ADI and what you do at the company?
ADI makes science easier with great data acquisition hardware and software. Our equipment is used in over ten thousand institutions around the world, mainly in life science teaching and research. As the Chief Technical Officer, I run the R&D part of the company, the best part of which is imagining and creating the future through innovative new products.
2) What startups you have been involved with over the years?
I co-founded a home audio startup and another developing an online mathematics education platform. More recently my focus has been on projects at ADI - one of which is a new cloud-based service that has a lot in common with a startup even though it’s within an established business.
3) What are some of your favourite startups at the moment?
Most of my favourites are related to IT or SaaS, but to name a few:
- Backyard Brains is doing great things for Neuroscience and in a fun way.
- Cloud Cannon is a local startup with a nice tool for web designers.
- TimeBird is just getting started but puts a huge effort into connecting with their users.
4) What is your biggest piece of advice to first time startup founders?
Use the tools (e.g. Lean Canvas, Design Thinking), and embrace the pivot!
5) What are you looking forward to at Startup Weekend 2015?
I’m expecting an intense time full of creativity, frustration and breakthroughs. I’m most looking forward to seeing the teams at the end come away with a huge sense of accomplishment and being inspired to do more.
BUY YOUR STARTUP WEEKEND TICKETS: http://swdunedin.eventbrite.com
Connect with John on LinkedIn.