Startup Weekend Queenstown 2019
Friday, October 18 - 20, 2019
Friday, October 18 - 20, 2019
Event starts at 5:00 pm
Queenstown Memorial Centre
1 Memorial Street
Learn the skills necessary to launch a new business idea faster and smarter
Where do you learn to turn an idea into a business? Startup Weekend is the place!Techstars Startup Weekend is the place to look for a team, create a prototype of your idea, validate your business idea, and receive feedback from experienced entrepreneurs, all in one weekend. We're hosting 66 passionate people in Queenstown, New Zealand and want to see you!
What do you need to bring?
Lots of energy! You'll pitch your own idea or listen to others, then vote on the most interesting ideas and form teams with diverse skill sets. You can come with friends, but you’ll get the full experience if you participate in separate teams. Remember, it’s all about the team.
Not everyone comes with an idea or problem to solve. That's OK - there are plenty of ideas to work on. The ideas you pitch and the problems you set out to solve can span social, educational, financial, environmental, or other issues. Over the course of the weekend, you'll be challenged to create a prototype of your MVP, or minimum viable product, that fits the needs of your target customer. You'll get feedback, iterate, and likely pivot your approach entirely! Important: You cannot have worked previously on your idea.
Techstars Startup Weekend is a full weekend-long experience. Your ticket includes:
- 7 meals over the course of the weekend
- Benefits and discounts from our local and global partners
- One-on-one time with amazing mentors
- A new network of developers, designers, and entrepreneurs eager, like you, to change the world.
Still have questions, feel free to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jucy Snooze is sponsoring Startup Weekend Queenstown 2019 by offering discounted rates for participants.
- $40 per night for Jucy Snooze Pod
- $125 per night for Jucy Snooze Private Room w/Double Bed
miPad Queenstown (New Zealand's first Smart Hotel) is also supporting with discounted rates for participants:
$195 per night for a Standard Double Room ( “everything you need, and nothing you don’t”)
Contact miPad directly to secure your room quoting "Startup Weekend" to receive this special rate.
If you have any questions, please email us.
Many people want to try entrepreneurship, but can't find time around their study/work/family commitments. Startup Weekends are a high-impact/low-commitment vehicle for you to test your ideas and see if entrepreneurship is for you. Even if you aren't looking to start something new, this experience will equip you with entrepreneurial thinking, that you can bring into your existing work. Not everyone can spare 3 months, but everyone can spare a weekend.
- You will get a taste of the startup world, and gain first-hand experience about every step of building a startup (at the very least, it'll be a memorable weekend away from your usual daily routine).
- You might find your perfect co-founder soulmate with whom you'll go on to launch a multi-million dollar startup, be it on this weekend or down the road.
- You will get a chance to network and mingle with some of the top brass in the New Zealand entrepreneurship/investing communities - individuals that would otherwise be very hard to reach - and ask them questions to your heart's content.
- You will greatly expand your network and build lasting relationships with the most innovative, creative and motivated people in the Queenstown Lakes District. This could mean a new client, employer, business partner, new employee, investor or even a friend!
- Plus, if your team wins, you will get heaps of additional resources and mentorship to help you get your startup off the ground. There are also plenty of investors in the crowd, so if your pitches were something special, you might even get funding (it happens!).
The whole of Saturday and much of Sunday is a mad dash to build, validate, pivot, polish and test your Minimal Viable Product (MVP). The weekend culminates with a pitch-night where teams present their MVP to a panel of judges, guests and fellow participants.
In the end, a winner is crowned and everyone celebrates over a few casual drinks - a chance to network before saying goodbye! The price of your ticket almost covers the cost of your food and drinks; if you work out how much six meals + unlimited coffee will cost, you could more than break even just by showing up and eating!
On top of all the grub, all participants get heaps of exclusive goodies including free domain names, web services and more. Not to mention free coaching and guidance from some of the best mentors around. All in all, it's probably the best $99 you'll ever spend. You don't have to be!
At every Startup Weekend, participants come from all walks of life, ranging from students to educators, bankers to doctors, even retirees! Worried you don't have the skills? That is why we have experienced mentors here to guide you (and Startup Weekends are about learning anyway). Too young/old? We have had participants as young as 12 and as old as 70, so if you fall within 0-100 years old, you're sweet! Get off that fence, join us, and get ready for the ride of your life.
We still have sponsorship packages available for Startup Weekend. Please contact email@example.com for full details on how your company can get involved to support this incredible initiative.
Friday October 18th
Saturday October 19th
Sunday October 20th
Coaches and Mentors
She brings experience in board roles, a a corporate executive, and hands-on as a strategist & implementation leader in organisations that range from scrappy, fast-growth entrepreneurial start-up ventures ranging to building global business franchises for Fortune 1000 companies including Microsoft, HP, Adobe, TOMS Shoes, LexisNexis, Getty Images, Theo Chocolate, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, GreaterGood.com. More recently, she was a key part of the team that in New Zealand to launch the innovative triple-bottom-line Camp Glenorchy Eco Retreat and Mrs Woolly’s General Store.
Solutions Architect, Amazon Web Services
He is a massive technology geek with a passion for Artificial Intelligence, Bots, IT Architecture, Software development, Systems Integration, Business Intelligence, Cloud Computing and most things IT.
When he's not helping startup teams design and leverage the AWS platform, he spends most of his days playing Airsoft, Fly Fishing and off-roading in Woodhill Forrest.
Techstars Startup Weekend Queenstown is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!