Startup Weekend To Improve Lives - Trinidad and Tobago
Friday, June 12 - 14, 2015
Friday, June 12 - 14, 2015
Event starts at 6:00 pm
One Woodbrook Place
Port of Spain,
Trinidad and Tobago
Startup Weekend to Improve Lives
Startup Weekend to Improve Lives in Trinidad and Tobago is where you can pitch your idea, form a team, validate your concept, build your product, and present your work to a panel of well-qualified and experienced judges - all in just 54 hours! This event will be co-sponsored by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB).
The IDB -- through the Demand Solutions Model -- is seeking to foster a culture of innovation in Latin America and the Caribbean that will encourage new approaches towards addressing development challenges, while generating an active dialogue on innovation, creativity, and calculated risk-taking. The IDB’s Demand Solutions Model is based on “Open Innovation” and relies on using internal and external paths and ideas to develop new solutions. Our strategy is to connect every innovation activity into one participative model for all IDB components. The Demand Solutions model is designed to accelerate the process of improving lives.
The winning Ideas will be awarded the opportunity of becoming part of the REACH Caribbean Innovation Competition (CIC), a regional contest and business start-up accelerator for young entrepreneurs, the CIC will be launched in the summer of 2015. With financing from the IDB’s Regional Public Goods Initiative, the REACH Project is being executed by the University of the West Indies and in partnership with the World Intellectual Property Organization and the Young Americas Business Trust.
Any idea that helps the world to become a better place is welcome! Your concept should improve people’s lives. Your ideas can be focused in presenting a solution around any of these topics and more:
- Social Change - We belong to a world of opinions and causes. This category focuses on startups that use technology to help improve: social inclusion, people with disabilities, productivity and jobs, and related areas.
- Cities and Climate Change - It is exciting to live in big cities!, They are full of life and movement 24 hours a day. All facilities are available here: schools, hospitals and malls, museums, cinemas, theatres… But living in a big city also has some challenges. This category focuses on startups that use technology to help improve: road safety, public transportation, drone technology, climate change adaptation or mitigation, tourism, housing, environmental protection, and related areas.
- Health and Wellness - Health is one of the most important elements for enjoying great quality of life. However Latin America and the Caribbean are threatened by one of the greatest epidemics of the 21st century, obesity. Startups in this category focus on the use of technology to reduce: obesity, diabetes, increase wellness in general, and related healthy living areas.
- Education and Open Knowledge - Education is in a reaching stage of reinvention where open data and technology will play an important role in the schools of the future. Startups in this category use or have developed technology to improve: learning processes, teacher training, educational practices, and related areas..
- Government and Citizen Participation - Crime and violence are affecting the lives of millions of people in Latin America and the Caribbean. This category must focus on startups that use technology to help improve: crime reduction or prevention, e- government capabilities, citizen participation, civil registration, identity, and more.
- Gaming for Social Good - More than 14.9 million Latin American and Caribbean people are gamers, and 40% of users play social games.This category must focus on startups that use, data and technology to help improve quality of life through gaming.
- Technology in Financial Services - Financial services are essential to facilitate access to better opportunities. This category must focus on startups that use technology to help improve: access to financial services, mobile apps for small and medium enterprises, financial education, online payment methods, and related areas.
*This includes all food, snacks and drinks over the weekend! We've got you covered, all you need to do is focus on building great startups! ;-)
Early Bird Tickets - $400TTD / $63USD (ends midnight on May 31st 2015)
Regular Tickets - $500TTD / $79USD
ALL TICKET SALES END ON THURSDAY 11th JUNE 2015 at midnight.
Get in contact with us via ;
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (868) 308-3865 - Gerard or (868) 774-4515 Ashmini
Official Hashtag : #SWTT
About Startup Weekend: Startup Weekend is a global grassroots movement of active and empowered entrepreneurs who are learning the basics of founding startups and launching successful ventures. It is the world’s largest community of passionate entrepreneurs, with events in over 100 countries and 600 cities around the world. From Mongolia to South Africa to London to Brazil, people around the globe are coming together for weekend-long workshops to pitch ideas, form teams, and start companies.
All Startup Weekend events follow the same basic model: anyone is welcome to pitch their startup idea and to receive feedback from their peers. Teams organically form around the top ideas and then it is a 54 hour frenzy of business model creation, coding, designing, and market validation. The weekends culminate with presentations in front of local entrepreneurial leaders with another opportunity for critical feedback.
Whether entrepreneurs establish companies, find a co-founder, meet someone new, or learn a skill far outside their usual 9-to-5 routine, every participant is guaranteed to leave the event better prepared to navigate the chaotic but fun world of startups. If you want to put yourself in the shoes of an entrepreneur, register now for the best weekend of your life!
Friday June 12th
Saturday June 13th
Sunday June 14th
HON. BHOENDRADATT TEWARIE
Ministry of Planning and Sustainable Development Trinidad and Tobago
Country Representative Trinidad and Tobago - IDB
Ignacio L. De Leon
Private Sector Development Specialist, Competitiveness and Innovation Divison, IDB
Kasper Birkeholk Munk
Team Leader, Teknologisk Institut
CEO and founder of Tower Industries / Estate 101 / Aqua Fun Park / Just Juiced / Caribbean Natural Juice Manf. Ltd.
Coaches and Mentors
Andrej organizes the South Florida Android Developers and the Miami Lean Startup Circle, and curates the Miami Startup Digest.
Caribbean Section, Regional Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean, World Intellectual Property Organization
Anna Maria Torres
In his professional career he also served as VP of Branding and Visual Communications on the Board of the International Association of Business Communicators – T&T Chapter, where his white paper on how Caribbean Businesses can add digital media to their marketing mix, was published in IABC’s international, award winning publication, Communication World.
In addition to his professional work, Brevard is passionate about youth empowerment and Caribbean development. He currently serves as the VP, Membership on the board of the St. Mary’s College Past Students’ Union, and was the founding President of the Rotaract club of St. Augustine West.
Brevard completed an Executive Education Programme at the Harvard Business School and holds a Masters Degree in International Marketing Communications from the London Metropolitan University and a Masters in Management from the ESCEM Business School in France. He also holds an undergraduate Business degree from the University of the West Indies.
Karen Lee Lum
A passionate, twenty-four hour creative junky. Admirer of sexy typefaces, lover of words and aspiring life long learner. He is also the founder of A BigBox Of Crayons. An online and offline community for creative thinkers + makers in Trinidad & Tobago.
The Regional Creative head of one of the Caribbean’s largest retailers. Where he
contributes to the group’s regional marketing strategy. Also responsible for development of the regional Design Strategy, Conceptualisation and execution of all creative, marketing and advertising communication for the group’s brands. With oversight of the regional and local creative teams and creative processes.
His mantra - Stay Passionate. Keep moving forward.
Robert De Gannes
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Startup Weekend To Improve Lives - Trinidad and Tobago team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Friend Of The Community
Startup Weekend Port of Spain is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!