Friday, April 10 - 12, 2015
Friday, April 10 - 12, 2015
Event starts at 6:30 pm
4-5 Bonhill St
Startup Weekend brings you London's second education edition - Education Entrepreneurs! 54 hours to make a change and impact education!
Have you ever had an idea for improving education? Here’s your opportunity to transform your education ideas into action in 54 hours. Find the right people with the complementary skills & passion to build an education product in one weekend. Design for learning, conduct user tests, receive coaching from experienced education designers & industry professionals and win prizes that will help take your idea to the next level!
We're looking for passionate educators, parents, students, entrepreneurs, developers, and designers who want to make to make a difference in education now. Come learn the basics of founding & launching a successful education startup while solving real problems in education.
Friday night: 60-second pitches that result in the formation of small teams around the best, most viable education concepts. Educators validate ideas, then all attendees vote. We hope you’ll pitch, but definitely not required!
Saturday and Sunday: Work days! Teams focus on user research, customer development, validating their ideas and building prototypes with the help of experienced coaches from the education and entrepreneurial world. You’re welcome to stay and work as long as the venue will allow!
Sunday evening: Teams demo their education products and receive valuable feedback from a panel of expert judges. Winning teams take home a grab bag of great tools to help launch their company!
Examples of startups founded at Startup Weekend EDU:
- Night Zookeeper, a digital art and literacy resource, freely available to K-12 teachers, enables children to create a unique magical animal to live in an online zoo.
- MathChat is a mobile collaboration tool for students to get instant math homework help from friends.
- Fantasy GeoPolitics is a fantasy football-like game for social studies and literacy standards.
- Kidfit Academy- A nonprofit running interactive physical & health education curriculum that empowers students to take control of their health & wellness with fun technology.
- Free .co Domain
- $100 free AWS credit
- £1000 free Zzish credit
- Discounted Edtech Europe tickets for Edtech 20 entrants
- Education Entrepreneurs Swag!
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on all days
- Eligibility to enter Jisc's funding and accelerator programmes
- Discounted desk space at Edspace for 3 months
Prizes secured so far with several more to come!
- £5000 of free Zzish credit to the winning team
- Coverage by Education Investor of winning team(s)
- Pebble watches for winning team(s)
- Free Edtech Europe Tickets
- Fast track application and discount pricing for Incubus accelerator
- Accelerated application to Emerge Education. Europe's leading Edtech accelerator
Friday April 10th
Saturday April 11th
Sunday April 12th
Oliver Quinlan - Nesta
Programme Manager: Digital Education
He's an expert in mobile platforms, personalisation big data and edtech. With a PHD in Computer Science and Robotics from Oxford and an MBA from London Business School, he's equally at home working on big data algorithms for deep learning or financial spreadsheets and strategy.
- two years Senior Manager @DfES Business Development Unit
- set up UK & sold education business intelligence report, 'the assignment report'
- shareholder @ Meissa Ltd - education sector advisory (current)
- set up Tutpup.com with Paul Birch - sold to MindCandy/MoshiMonsters 2008 (current shareholder)
- served on Home Office's Independent Monitoring Board @ Wormwood Scrubs Prison 2007- 2009
- Learning Without Frontiers Edu Tech Startup Pitch Fest 2012 judge
- advisor EC1 Capital, TeachPitch
- Start Up Weekend EDU London 2013 - judge, mentor & part of organising team
- contributor to edSurge.com
- angel investor ScienceAgoGo, Night Zookeeper, NearDesk, edapt, Sixth Domain, KnowledgeMotion
Coaches and Mentors
- launching a Mozilla Open Badges initiative for somewhereto.com
- designing a bespoke learning platform for popuptalent.org
- founding a community based web programming course: skillab.co.uk
Now working on the confluence between community, product and learning experience design for Kahoot!
As CEO, Jan is responsible for strategy, investor relations, startup selection, and people. Jan co-founded the Lab during his final year at Oxford University, where he graduated with a 1st class degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.
Program Manager - Google for Education
He graduated from LSE driven by a passion towards solving important educational problems through technology. After experiencing and studying the deep-rooted problems within academia, he set out to utilise the power of technology and provide long lasting solutions that would enhance the academic experience.
She has experience in managing innovation in different sectors, having previously worked at Bloomberg, World Bank, EIRIS and The Work Foundation.
Stefan is also mentoring at UCL and the Incubus London incubator as well as various tech courses to students and professionals.
20 YEARS EDTECH EXPERIENCE
in a variety of different commercial settings:
11 YEARS AT PEARSON
in a variety of senior roles:
-Digital Strategy Director
-Chief Technolgy Officer (UK Schools)
-Digital Director (Longman)
-Managing Director (KnowledgeBox)
1 SUCCESSFUL STARTUP
-Founded re-Animate ltd.
-Developed and licenced animated learning content
-Nurtured to profitability
-Sold in Sherston Software in 2001
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Education Entrepreneurs team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Startup Weekend London is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!