Startup Weekend for Designers
This post originally appeared on blog.up.co
At Startup Weekend, we have three ticket types: Developer, Designer, and General (marketing, business, non-technical). In reality, you'll probably get stuck into a bit of everything during the weekend, but it's important for us to know as organisers that there's enough technical talent in the room to build a few killer teams that create kick-ass products that work well and look good.
Unfortunately, it's a global problem at Startup Weekend that we struggle to recruit designers. Ideally the ratio would be 1/3 developers 1/3 designers 1/3 general. We tend to get about 1/2 developer and 1/2 general with a couple of designers thrown in at Startup Weekend Sheffield. This is a shame as when we do have a good number of designers, the event is always much better than when we don't.
So here's my call to action for designers to get involved in the next Startup Weekend Sheffield (20-22 November 2015). And here's 10 reasons you should attend. Feel free to get in touch to add anything you think I might have missed!
1. Meet and make friends with awesome people who are creating and building stuff from scratch.
2. Get advice and valuable face-time with expert mentors who could help you in your career.
3. Take the opportunity to promote yourself as an awesome designer.
4. Oh, and have fun. Lots of fun.
5. At Startup Weekend Sheffield, you won't be forced into teams with people you don't like to work on ideas you don't have a passion for. You get to choose the project you work on and the people you work with. You can even pitch your own idea and build your own team.
6. At Startup Weekend, you're not limited by client requirements. When it comes to the creative concept, you are the designer and you get to choose.
7. Turn your daily workflow process on its head and experiment with iterative design and Lean UX. You might find you love it.
9. Create a visually stunning presentation that secures you and your team the coveted 1st place title.
There's so much a designer can get out of attending a Startup Weekend, it would be wrong to try and fit it all into this blurb. So check out the website, register, and see for yourself.
10. And use the following code for 20% off Designer tickets: DESIGNSW
Date: 20-22 November 2015
Venue: Electric Works, Sheffield (next to the train station)
Awesome slideshare I found: http://www.slideshare.net/IrynaNezhynska/designers-guide-tostartupweekend