Boulder Food + Tech Startup Weekend!
Friday, May 17 - 19, 2019
Friday, May 17 - 19, 2019
Event starts at 6:00 pm
New Hope Network
5541 Central Avenue
Your Food + Tech idea in 54 hours!
- Two free badges to Expo West 2020
- One free New Hope Brandcamp Webinar
- Content coverage on NewHope.com
- One hour consultation with Propeller Industries
- One free year-long Naturally Boulder Membership
- One free ticket to the Naturally Boulder Pitch-Slam and Awards
- (2) 1-month hotdesk memberships to WeWork
- $100 marketing credit and 30-minut video consulting with Jenna Bee from Brandzooka
Techstars Startup Weekend is a full weekend-long experience. Your ticket includes:
- 7 full (and delicious) meals over the course of the weekend.
- Benefits and discounts from our global partners.
- One-on-one time with amazing mentors.
- A new network of developers, designers, and entrepreneurs eager, like you, to change the world.
- All the internet and coffee you can consume.
- The potential for a new business idea that can change the food system.
What is this Startup Weekend about?This Food + Tech Startup Weekend will be all about the intersection of Food, Agriculture, Technology, and Sustainability. While consumer brands and packaged goods play a large role in the system, that is certainly NOT our only focus. We need to think more broadly, more holistically and start thinking about throughout the whole system!
If we intend to feed a population of 9 billion people by 2050, then we need to start thinking about how to make our food system more sustainable and more efficient. Technology with play a key role along the entire value chain - agriculture/production, distribution, processing/manufacturing, retail and CPG, and waste. We need entrepreneurs from various backgrounds working together at the intersection of food, agriculture, and technology to help build a better future!
Boulder has developed two amazing startup communities - a food startup community and a tech startup community. It's time those communities collaborate and started working towards building the future of food! We need all the brain power and talent Boulder has to offer!
What do you need to bring?
What do we mean when we say "Food + Tech"?
As the AgFunder post states, FoodTech solutions "can help to mend many of these bridges, make the agrifood industry more sustainable, transparent, agile, and able to respond more quickly to changing consumer demands. Issues such as food waste, which occurs across the food chain, can be better solved with a more holistic view of the industry, for example. Viewing agrifood as a single industry that spans the value chain from farm to fork can also help engage consumers early with technologies that go into food production to avoid backlash, and raise awareness of issues on the farm such as soil health and environmental impact."
These solutions can cover the entire value chain, from the Farm to the Fork. This includes (but is not necessarily limited to) the following areas in need of innovation:
- Agriculture and aquaculture: raising crops, livestock, and seafood
- Manufacturing agricultural inputs: agrichemicals, farm machinery, seeds, livestock pharmaceuticals, and other supplies
- Food processing: the preparation of fresh products, manufacture of prepared food products and ingredients
- Non-food processing: extraction of bioenergy and biomaterials from agricultural crops and products
- Marketing, wholesale and distribution, logistics, transportation, and warehousing
- Retail and foodservice: grocery, farmers’ markets, restaurants, and other retailing
- Consumer cooking and food discovery
- Regulation: food quality, food security, and food safety
- Research and development
- Financial services
(1) AgFunder Blog on "What is Agrifood Tech?" (Agrifood Tech = FoodTech for our purposes)
(2) Techstars Farm-to-Fork blog post on areas of interest related to the "digital side of the food industry"
(3) Techstars Farm-to-Fork blog post on results from last year's program and additional areas of interest for 2019
Doesn't matter who are you - you have something to contribute! So come out and help us change the food system for the better!
What are you waiting for?
Friday May 17th
Saturday May 18th
Sunday May 19th
SVP of Content & Insights @ New Hope Network, Informa Global Health & Nutrition Network
Passionate for brands that try innovative ways of connecting with consumers. Deep experience in strategy, integrated brand planning, three-tier distribution systems and retailer marketing.
Brand Experience: Coors Light, Blue Moon Brewing, Skratch Labs, WhiteWave Foods, Crocs, Newton Running, Toys R Us, Gaiam Yoga.
Coaches and Mentors
Chris joined Ceres in an advisory role in 2016 and full time in 2018. During this time Ceres has grown at a pace of over 200% per year. He found his passion in the sustainability aspect and the growth potential in disrupting a stagnant greenhouse market. A big part of Ceres' success is the team culture, innovate approach and focus on customer success.
Eric's passions lie in the intersection of consumer behavior and business strategy within the Natural Products industry. These passions are focused on helping companies navigate the dynamic and changing food system, helping to re-imagine brands, inspire product innovation, and focus business investments with an eye towards meeting the needs of the food-forward consumer.
At The New Hope Network Eric and his colleagues and sit at the forefront of the Natural Products industry, well positioned to identify the cultural forces and trends creating opportunity in this exciting and evolving marketplace. Together we help companies large and small identify, prioritize and take advantage of opportunities in the evolving food economy.
Director Content Marketing, Supply Chain Solutions, New Hope Network & Informa Global Health and Nutrition Network
Today, Tara runs the education and curriculum program for companies attending Boomtown Accelerator. How she can help you during BSW? By building out your Problem/Solution, and helping you create and hone your pitch so you can win customers, attention, & investment.
Half the challenge of building a successful startup is being able to communicate it properly - which is not easy. If you build it they will not come. If you build it properly and can then excite them through clear and passionate messaging...they will.
Another key to success - is in building investor relationships...I can help you there too!
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Boulder Food + Tech Startup Weekend! team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
New Hope Network is at the forefront of the healthy lifestyle products industry. With solutions for the complete supply chain from manufacturers, retailers/distributors, service providers and ingredient suppliers, the network offers a robust portfolio of content, events, data, research and consultative services.
Techstars Startup Weekend Boulder is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!