Startup Weekend Boulder, Food+Tech!
Friday, May 17 - 19, 2019
Friday, May 17 - 19, 2019
Event starts at 6:00 pm
New Hope Network
5541 Central Avenue
Your FoodTech idea in 54 hours
A 2.5 day new idea accelerator/sprint where members of the community pitch new ideas, test those ideas, and try to put together some form of validation/MVP (minimum viable product) over the course of a single weekend. It's a lot of fun and a great experience for all those involved!On the event website I linked to above, you can see a rough schedule for how we plan to have the weekend run.
What do we mean when we say "FoodTech"?
(1) AgFunder Blog on "What is Agrifood Tech?" (Agrifood Tech = FoodTech for our purposes)
(2) Techstars Farm-to-Fork blog post on areas of interest related to the "digital side of the food industry"
(3) Techstars Farm-to-Fork blog post on results from last year's program and additional areas of interest for 2019
If you don't have time to look, here's what you need to know...
Gllobally, food and agriculture is a >$8 trillion industry. It is also the largest employer of people, responsible for almost 40% of jobs globally. However, there increasingly significant pressures being placed on the global food system. These pressures include:
- a growing global population set to reach 9 billion in 2050
- climate change and global warming
- changing consumer demands including increased demand for meat protein in emerging markets and less processed food in the western world
- limited natural resources, particularly land and water
- food waste: in the US, 40% of food that’s grown is wasted and food loss and waste account for 8% of greenhouse gas emissions. In developing countries, that figure can be even higher, with particular challenges around logistics and refrigeration
- consumer health issues and chronic disease; more than one-third of US adults are obese and 17% of children and adolescents aged 2–19 years, with similar statistics in the UK.
These solutions can cover the entire value chain, from the Farm to the Fork. This includes (but is not necessarily limited to) the following areas in need of innovation:
- Agriculture and aquaculture: raising crops, livestock, and seafood
- Manufacturing agricultural inputs: agrichemicals, farm machinery, seeds, livestock pharmaceuticals, and other supplies
- Food processing: the preparation of fresh products, manufacture of prepared food products and ingredients
- Non-food processing: extraction of bioenergy and biomaterials from agricultural crops and products
- Marketing, wholesale and distribution, logistics, transportation, and warehousing
- Retail and foodservice: grocery, farmers’ markets, restaurants, and other retailing
- Consumer cooking and food discovery
- Regulation: food quality, food security, and food safety
- Research and development
- Financial services
Doesn't matter who are you - you have something to contribute! So come out and help us change the food system for the better!
So, what is our particular Startup Weekend about?
This Startup Weekend Food+Tech will be all about the intersection of Food, Agriculture, Technology, and Sustainability. While consumer brands and packaged goods play a large role in the system, that is certainly NOT our only focus. We need to think more broadly, more holistically and start thinking about throughout the whole system!
If we intend to feed a population of 9 billion people by 2050, then we need to start thinking about how to make our food system more sustainable and more efficient. Technology with play a key role along the entire value chain - agriculture/production, distribution, processing/manufacturing, retail and CPG, and waste. We need entrepreneurs from various backgrounds working together at the intersection of food, agriculture, and technology to help build a better future!
Boulder has developed two amazing startup communities - a food startup community and a tech startup community. It's time those communities collaborate and started working towards building the future of food! We need all the brain power and talent Boulder has to offer!
We are still finalizing the prize package, but as of right now, this is what we have to offer the winning team:
- Two free badges to Expo West 2020
- One free New Hope Brandcamp Webinar
- One hour consultation with Propeller Industries
- One free year-long Naturally Boulder Membership
- One free ticket to the Naturally Boulder Pitch-Slam and Awards
- 7 full (and delicious) meals over the course of the weekend
- Benefits and discounts from our global partners
- One-on-one time with amazing mentors
- A new network of developers, designers, and entrepreneurs eager, like you, to change the world.
- All the internet and coffee you can consume.
Friday May 17th
Saturday May 18th
Sunday May 19th
SVP of Content & Insights @ New Hope Network, Informa Global Health & Nutrition Network
Coaches and Mentors
Chris joined Ceres in an advisory role in 2016 and full time in 2018. During this time Ceres has grown at a pace of over 200% per year. He found his passion in the sustainability aspect and the growth potential in disrupting a stagnant greenhouse market. A big part of Ceres' success is the team culture, innovate approach and focus on customer success.
Eric's passions lie in the intersection of consumer behavior and business strategy within the Natural Products industry. These passions are focused on helping companies navigate the dynamic and changing food system, helping to re-imagine brands, inspire product innovation, and focus business investments with an eye towards meeting the needs of the food-forward consumer.
At The New Hope Network Eric and his colleagues and sit at the forefront of the Natural Products industry, well positioned to identify the cultural forces and trends creating opportunity in this exciting and evolving marketplace. Together we help companies large and small identify, prioritize and take advantage of opportunities in the evolving food economy.
Director Content Marketing, Supply Chain Solutions, New Hope Network & Informa Global Health and Nutrition Network
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Startup Weekend Boulder, Food+Tech! team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
New Hope Network is at the forefront of the healthy lifestyle products industry. With solutions for the complete supply chain from manufacturers, retailers/distributors, service providers and ingredient suppliers, the network offers a robust portfolio of content, events, data, research and consultative services.
Techstars Startup Weekend Boulder is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!