Techstars Startup Weekend Charleston
Friday, November 10 - 12, 2017
Friday, November 10 - 12, 2017
Event starts at 6:00 pm
The Harbor Entrepreneur Center
Pacific Box & Crate
1505 King St Ext
The hardest part of starting up... is starting out!
Startup Weekend will help participants learn how to launch a business, a product, or service. It will also help participants explore their creativity, experience what it's like to create a business plan, learn how to pitch you idea and help you build an amazing network!
Connect, Discover, Learn, StartConnect with a rich and diverse group of individuals. You might meet a friend, a mentor, a co-founder, an investor or even your next boss. Discover where you are on the Entrepreneur's Journey - or if you're even on it - and leave knowing the next steps you need to take on your road to success. Learn what it really takes to start a business. No book, panel, speaker, or blog post will teach you everything you need to know! The only way to learn it is through the experience of trying it. Startup Weekend let's you try it out in a safe, fun, supportive environment. Start! It’s that simple. Startup Weekend is designed to get you going, FAST. The Startup Weekend Team will help you be successful and learn as much as possible in just 54 hours.
What happens at the end of 54 hours? Some teams will decide to move forward with an idea, some won't. Some members of the team will remain on the team and build a business, and others will go back to their 9-5 job, their own startup or pursue other interests. Some people will find internship opportunities, find a job, or develop friendships that are long-lasting. No matter what, everyone will have fun, learn, share and be a part of the startup weekend community.
Powered by Google for Entrepreneurs and Techstars, Startup Weekend is a global, grassroots movement of passionate entrepreneurs with a mission to inspire, educate, and empower others to launch innovative ideas. It is the largest community of entrepreneurs in the world and has hosted more than 2,000 events in more than 200 countries since 2007.
In A Nutshell:Friday: Anyone can pitch an idea (and everyone is encouraged to pitch), everyone votes on the ideas that are pitched, teams are formed around the top ideas (5-7 teams get formed).
Saturday: Teams validate ideas, research customers, create a business plan and work to build a prototype that demonstrates the potential of their business.
Sunday: Finishing touches are put on the business plans & prototypes, pitches are developed and rehearsed and the events culminates Sunday evening in a pitch competition where teams present their businesses and demonstrate their prototype to a panel of judges.
Why Should I Register?
- Learn Something New: Startup Weekends are all about learning through the act of creating. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go.
- Networking: This isn’t just a happy-hour. Startup Weekend attracts the community’s best makers and do-ers. And, we all know it’s not just about the idea – it’s about the team. Startup Weekend is hands down the best way to find someone you can actually work with.
- Mentoring: Local leaders - business people, tech experts and entrepreneurs - participate in Startup Weekends as coaches and judges. You'll get some one-on-one and group time with local experts who can help you with your ideas.
- Learn A New Skill: Step outside of your comfort zone. With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or just try something different.
- Launch a business: Over 36% of Startup Weekend startups are still going strong after 3 months. Roughly 80% of participants plan on continuing working with their team or startup after the weekend.
- Join the Startup Community: Join over 45,000 Startup Weekend alumni, all on a mission to change the world.
A: Yes! Startup Weekend if for everyone. What you know is valuable and you'll have the chance to share your skills and experiences with others who want to learn.
Q: I don't have any ideas!
A: Technically, everyone has ideas. What you probably mean is, I'm not sure if my idea is viable. This is the perfect opportunity to explore that idea. Not every idea is viable, but Startup Weekend will help you determine if your idea has legs...and if it doesn't, that's okay, you will join another team and help take someone else's idea from prototype to pitch.
Q: Does my idea have to be an app or involve technology?
Q: Is this event for experienced people only?
Q: I've already participated in a Startup Weekend.
A: Great! You can participate in as many as you like! Just because you've participated in the past doesn't mean you shouldn't participate again. Each weekend is unique because the ideas are different and there are so many different people to meet.
Friday November 10th
Saturday November 11th
Sunday November 12th
Coaches and Mentors
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Techstars Startup Weekend Charleston team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Techstars Startup Weekend Charleston is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!