Announcing Startup Weekend Stamford ‘16
This post originally appeared on blog.up.co
Follow us on Twitter @SWStamford
And, now the moment you’ve all been waiting for…
Startup Weekend Stamford is back–and better than ever. What is Startup Weekend you ask? Startup Weekends are a 54-hour event where developers, designers, marketers, product managers and startup enthusiast come together to share ideas, form teams, build products and launch startups. Very exciting! Oh, and before I forget, win prizes and face time in front of Venture Capitalist and Angel Investors. Interested Yet? This is the fifth-annual Startup Weekend the Stamford Innovation Center is hosting and we are expecting a bigger and better experience for all participants!
I know exactly what you are thinking, STARTUP WHAT? Let me explain, Startup Weekend is a weekend-long, hands-on experience where entrepreneurs can find out if startup ideas are viable. On average, half of Startup Weekend’s attendees have a technical background; the other half has a business background. But 100 percent of attendees come away with new ideas, fresh perspectives and new possibilities.
So, Let’s break down the event. The night begins with open mic pitches on Friday, attendees are encouraged to bring their best and boldest ideas and inspire others to join their team. Over Saturday and Sunday teams design and develop business plans while continuously tweaking their startup vision. On Sunday evening, teams demo their prototypes, listen to judges’ feedback and choose a winner. Oh, and did I mention, you get a T-shirt for participating in the event! I can’t tell you how many events I volunteered for just for a T-shirt… I have a shrine, and I am proud!
Alright, Alright, Alright! Let’s get technical. Startup weekends are specifically designed for entrepreneurs interested in receiving feedback on an idea, looking for a co-founder, or those seeking a new skill. We also welcome anyone looking to test the entrepreneurial waters. Startup Weekends are risk-free environments where everyone is expected to roll up their sleeves and dive into the exhilarating world of startups.
So, Why should you attend? Here is a list of reasons conveniently placed in bullet points for you:
- Build your network: Have you taken a look at our speakers, judges or mentors? There’s a smorgasbord of entrepreneurs, angels, and VCs with incredible credentials. It’s a ‘who’s who’ of people you should absolutely know- right here in Connecticut.
- Co-Founder Dating: We all know it’s not just about the idea – it’s about the team. What skill are you missing from your dream team? Biz-dev, marketing, developer, designer?
- Launch a business: Here’s your chance to validate that idea you’ve been mulling, build a team and make it real! Also, you didn’t hear I from us, but some of our investor guest keep an eye on early stage ventures… Just Saying.
- Get face time with community leaders: The speakers and mentors have decades of experience at being phenomenally successful Ask them for advice, that’s exactly why they are here! We have a great set of consultants, analysts, lawyers and experienced startup people on hand to help you work through your ideas.
- Save money and get FREE stuff: There are some great freebies and discounts and everybody, I mean Everybody loves swag.
Join the global community. Come to Startup Weekend Stamford and come see what all the fuss is about!