Josh David Miller is the CEO of Mindbox Studios, where he facilitates the process of innovation with early-stage startups and with larger organizations in transition. He and his team help get new ventures to market, innovate on business models, and establish a culture that supports intrapreneurship. JDM spends his free time as a startup ecosystem builder, connecting founders and funders in the Sacramento area; is an unabashed nerd who considers science and philosophy textbooks “brain candy”; and can usually be found wearing unusually colourful shoes.
LaunchPad Global Startup Weekend Los Angeles
Friday, October 2 - 4, 2020
Friday, October 2 - 4, 2020
Event starts at 6:30 pm
Edison Auditorium Hoffman Hall
701 W Exposition Blvd
Launch Your Idea This Weekend!
Spend a weekend working on an idea, expanding opportunities, and building community for current and future student entrepreneurs.
This event is open to all Blackstone LaunchPad students.
Are you a student in a Blackstone LaunchPad powered by Techstars entrepreneurship program? Do you have an idea you'd like to pursue or a problem you'd like to solve but don't know where to start or who to start with?
Techstars Startup Weekend is run in over 700 cities and 150 countries worldwide each year. The Blackstone LaunchPad powered by Techstars Startup Weekend is unique in a few ways:
- Exclusive to LaunchPad Students: Attendees must be students enrolled in a University with a Blackstone LaunchPad entrepreneurship program
- Event Scale: 75-100 students from LaunchPad programs all across the US
- Techstars-Organized: The event is fully supported and organized by the Blackstone LaunchPad powered by Techstars team.
- Follow-on Programming: Students that participate become “Student Entrepreneurs in Residence” and are empowered by Techstars to return to their Universities and lead their own Startup Weekend.
- 6 full (and delicious) meals over the course of the weekend
- Benefits and discounts from our global partners
- One-on-one time with amazing mentors
- A new network of students like you, ready to change the world.
- All the internet and coffee you can consume.
On day 1, you’ll have the opportunity to meet other attendees and pitch your idea (if you have one). Attendees select the top ideas based on this pitch event, and teams are formed. The rest of the weekend is devoted to working on that startup idea, including marketing research, forming a basic business plan, and creating a pitch. On Sunday, all teams will have the opportunity to pitch in front of judges, and the winner will be announced.
Your idea / startup should be something you have *not* worked on extensively. Startup Weekend is designed to be an entrepreneurial experience for attendees that haven't started a company before, and the days are built around working on a brand new idea from scratch. So, if you already have an active startup, you really won't get much out of the event, and neither will your teammates! If you do have an idea, be open to coming up with something new for this event, or jumping on another team to assist and lend a hand.
The idea you pitch and the problem you set out to solve can span social, educational, financial, environmental, or other issues. Over the course of the weekend you'll be challenged to create a prototype of your MVP, or minimum viable product, that fits the needs of your target customer. You'll get feedback, iterate, and likely pivot your approach entirely!
- What’s the team size?
- Teams will ideally have 6-8 members.
- Can I work with students from my school or my friends?
- Probably not! :) Teams will be a mix of students from multiple schools - you probably will not work with any other students from your University. (This great networking and team-building experience is all part of the fun!)
- Who is going to guide us through the weekend and give us instructions?
- Team formation and the weekend overall will be guided by our awesome facilitator. You’ll never have to question what you should be working on.
- We will have mentors on site to help you Saturday and Sunday morning.
- Is there food and caffeine?
- Don’t worry - all meals (and snacks) are provided throughout the day(s)!
- What should I wear?
- Dress comfortably! You will be at the venue for long hours, so wear whatever makes you comfortable.
- What should I bring?
- It’s a good idea to bring a laptop, charger and a notepad for researching ideas, creating your pitch, etc.
- Is there a prize for winning?
- You get the great honor of saying you “won” the inaugural Blackstone LaunchPad Techstars Startup Weekend. But really, all attendees are winners - you got an amazing experience and learned from the best on what it’s like to start a company.
Friday October 2nd
Saturday October 3rd
Sunday October 4th
Coaches and Mentors
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The LaunchPad Global Startup Weekend Los Angeles team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Techstars Startup Weekend Los Angeles is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!