Startup Weekend Phoenix
Friday, November 18 - 20, 2016
Friday, November 18 - 20, 2016
Event starts at 6:30 pm
688 W. 1st Street
What's this about?
Friday November 18th
Saturday November 19th
Sunday November 20th
He's had major success with startups Tanga, LOLShirts, and BelleChic as well as a few unsuccessful but highly-educational startup ventures.
Jason launched MySpace in 2003 and served as the Vice President of Operations and on the executive committee. Jason oversaw the day-to-day and strategic execution of advertising, revenue reporting, safety, policy enforcement, government relations and managed over 300 FTEs. Jason helped grow the company to 100M users and transitioning it to News Corp after its sale for $580M in 2005.
Jason began his dot-com startup journey in 1999 at Creative Planet, where he developed online portals, news sites and communities for film and television professionals. United Entertainment Media acquired Creative Planet in 2001.
Coaches and Mentors
Member of the firm’s technology team, assisting in transactions involving software as a service (SaaS), cloud computing, product development, procurement, licensing, distribution, outsourcing, supply chain, information technology (IT), vendor agreements, hosting, e-commerce, and confidentiality agreements.
• Establish company vision and short- and long-term strategies
• Determine annual operating plans and budgets that support strategic direction
• Raise necessary capital to develop, launch and grow an interactive online learning system delivering audio-visual mnemonics to help students study and memorize complex information
• Manage capital and organization’s resources
• Provides prompt, thorough and accurate information to stakeholders
• Oversee hiring of senior management team and develop future leadership within the team
• Develop and promote a culture that reflects Picmonic’s values and encourages excellent performance
• Regularly evaluate organization and staff performance
• Serve as a primary spokesperson and representative for the company
• Assure the company mission, image and performance consistently deliver a unified positive message
As a result of a unique nationwide marketing campaign, put Picmonic in the hands of medical students in more than 500 universities across the United States.
Arizona Innovation Challenge 2 Time Semi-Finalist (Fall 2012 & Spring 2013), Finalist (Spring 2014)
Arizona Tech Council Start up Connect Finalist & Winner (2013)
Currently responsible for keeping Picmonic on track with the long-term vision as well as quarterly missions. Sets and drives the pace of all departments, acting as liaison to coordinate interdepartmental initiatives, but recently focused on building a bad ass in-house technology team.
Prior to starting his own business, 23 years ago, Doug enjoyed a career in Human Resources and Organizational Development for a large multi-national information systems company. This experience has contributed greatly to Doug’s success, as he was able to experience the challenges of a complex organization first-hand. This followed his first career as an educator.
Doug earned a B.A in Interpersonal Communications from Ohio University and a M.S. in Creativity, Innovation and Change Leadership from Buffalo State College where he is also an adjunct faculty member. He received his certification as an executive coach from the College of Executive Coaching in Ventura, CA., where he has also served on the faculty.
Doug has been a member of the Creative Education Foundation since 1979 and they honored him with a Distinguished Leader Award in 1997. He has served as a volunteer leader at the Creative Problem Solving Institute, Buffalo, NY since 1983. He is recognized as an expert in the field of organizational creativity and innovation.
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Startup Weekend Phoenix team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Techstars Startup Weekend Phoenix is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!