5 Reasons Men Should Attend Women's Edition
This post originally appeared on blog.up.co
When our organizing group decided to do a Women's Edition, we never once entertained the idea of not letting men attend. This is for a pretty specific reason: equality and empowerment for women in entrepreneurship requires men to be involved, too.
So here you go, we have five reasons men should attend Women's Edition. Ready? Here we go!
1. Showing up is saying that you support equality for half of the population. While women may be roughly half of the humans who occupy the planet, we ladies face inequality in virtually all aspects of employment and socioeconomic development. By showing up to say that you believe women should have a place in entrepreneurship, you're saying that you believe in equality for half the population!
2. You will have no problem surveying women for your idea. One of the difficulties of doing customer validation is finding your audience. Women - as half the population! - are an important element of customer validation, and Women's Edition will give you an easily-available audience of women whose customer validation will be a breeze!
3. Women make spending decisions. Most tech events are mostly men; that's one a few places where it is forgotten that women make the spending decisions. Where real people are spending real money - and not exchanging "likes" for a "yo" or a "favorite" - 85% of all brand purchases are made by women. If you're looking to really come up with a marketable idea, learn why women spend their dollars and where - this event is perfect for this.
4. Our speakers, mentors, and judges are out-of-this-world. We have some of the most amazing speakers, mentors, and judges showing up to help you. Yes, you. You'll be getting face time with strong women who wouldn't have time otherwise. You're welcome.
5. This is the first of its kind in San Diego and you'll be part of something amazing. There is never a reason not to attend Startup Weekend. Networking, learning, creating, building - there are so many things that happen at a Startup Weekend, and that's why so many of us keep coming back for more.