Santa Barbara SW #3 Recap (November 2013)
This post originally appeared on blog.up.co
[caption id="attachment_18589" align="alignright" width="300"] The crowd listens to pitches at Santa Barbara Startup Weekend.[/caption]
As we prepare to unleash Santa Barbara Startup Weekend #4 (November 14-16, 2014) the highlights of our amazing SBSW #3 come to mind. If you were not there last year, this is a taste of what you missed:
- We completed against 200 other cities in the Global Startup Battle.
- 135 Team Participants pitched 62 ideas and formed 20 teams.
- Keynote speeches by Patrick Vlaskovits, Kevin O'Connor, and Chad Newell.
- 300+ people attended our Friday night blowout kickoff at Avelina Wine Company in Santa Barbara’s Funk Zone, with live music entertainment.
- Over two dozen expert mentors helped teams get their projects moving.
- Terrific food from vendors throughout town kept our teams humming at Workzones all weekend long.
- Sunday night team competition at the Museum of Contemporary Art, with winning teams Next Mover, GearUp, TouchStone, My Custom Cookie, and My Parking Spot.
- A who's who panel of judges: Klaus Schauser, Jon Funk, Sean Malarkey, Mary Anne Masterson , Matthew McCall, Judy Bruton, JD, MSW, and Kevin O'Connor.
- Santa Barbara blowing away much larger cities in the Twitter Hashtag Battle.
[caption id="attachment_18590" align="alignleft" width="300"] The "Fire Department" band provides entertainment for the gathering Friday night crowd.[/caption]
Santa Barbara has established a national reputation for gathering a large number of participants, drawing top tier mentors, judges, and speakers, and offering "maker" experts at our events. Are you ready to help build an even bigger and better event this year? Join Santa Barbara Startup Weekend #4!