Triad Startup Weekend
Friday, November 10 - 12, 2017
Friday, November 10 - 12, 2017
Event starts at 6:30 pm
450 Design Ave
Start a business in 54 hours
Anyone can attend, we've had participants aged 18-80. The weekend starts with each attendee pitching their ideas and getting to know each other. Out of those ideas the top 5-10 are chosen by popular vote and participants form teams to expand on the ideas. Expert mentors then lead, guide, and encourage the teams through the business development process. The weekend culminates in a pitch competition to a panel of judges comprised of local entrepreneurs, coaches, and investment experts. The winners will receive up to 10K value in software and marketing services, but everyone will win the knowledge to move their own projects forward.
Startup Weekend is co-hosted by local ecosystem members Flywheel Coworking and the Center for Design Innovation (CDI).
Friday November 10th
Saturday November 11th
Sunday November 12th
Wake Forest Angell Center for Entrepreneurship (WF-ACE) (1998-Present). Executive Professor and founding director of the Wake Forest University ACE, including it’s Family Business Initiative.
• Affiliate Professor, Bordeaux School of Business (2001-Present) Faculty appointment to teach entrepreneurship.
• Affiliate Professor, Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (2003 – Present). Faculty appointment to teach entrepreneurship
• Family Business Initiative (1995-1998). Director of University of South Dakota-School of Business state-wide program designed to improve the success of family businesses through life-long learning, research, consulting, and other out-reach activities.
• University of South Dakota (1997-1998). Appointed to a faculty position as an assistant professor, School of Business, and USD Graduate School.
• Entrepreneur/Family Business Consultants (E-FBC) (1995-Present). Principal of E-FBC that provides interdisciplinary consulting services (strategy, family business issues, facilitation, etc.) to regional and international organizations.
• SBDC (1992-1995). As part of a research assistantship at Texas Tech I presented seminars and provided organizational counseling services.
• McGuffey’s Inc. (1990-1991). Founder and CEO of five-store retail chain dealing in discounted catalogue clothing. Business sold in 1991.
• $10 Shoppe (1986-1990). Founder and CEO of fifteen store one price clothing chain located in Texas.
• The Hollywood, Inc. (1972-1990). CEO of five-store moderate ladies apparel chain.
• Ernst & Young (1969-1972). Management consultant dealing in M&A, system design, and cost studies within health care organizations, utilities, manufacturing firms, and governments.
• Army Test and Evaluation Command (1967-1969). Transportation test officer.
• Texas Instruments (1966-1967). Control administrator for pricing and compliance.
Principal, wordsmith, IA/UX & strategist @ honestly.co & hireloft.co | co-founder of letsrework.com
Integrity. Excellence. Collaboration. Commitment. Fun. Curiosity.
You can find me online at davidhorne.me. When not spending time with my family or writing, I play golf. I used to play professionally but ran out of talent or money (or both). If you ever want to tee it up, don't hesitate to drop me a message.
In his spare time, Josh is also a partner at RootLevel Labs, where he has spent the last 4 years actively helping build and launch startups. Josh has a proven ability to build and lead high-performance teams in rapidly changing environments, as well as to design innovative ways to optimize revenue and profitability from new and existing business models. When he’s not manning the helm, you can usually find him outdoors trailblazing in his Jeep, hanging from a cliff, or hiking with the office’s best friend and security dog, Kona.
Coaches and Mentors
Strategic digital marketer, embracing technology and new media as powerful communication tools. Innovative leader with over 15 years of team building experience. Leveraging high-impact, measurable social media and internet marketing solutions. Specialties: Marketing, Social Media, Web Design, Web Development, Graphic Design, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Marketing Strategy, Digital Marketing, Training, Public Speaking, Logo Design, Living Gluten Free, Blogging, Facebook Marketing.
Techstars Startup Weekend Triad is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
Previously, Andrew worked as a Senior Management Consultant with KPMG's Strategy Advisory practice, he has recently jumped into the world of entrepreneurship himself, launching an online travel media called Flytrippers that is part discounted flight deals curation and part travel blog. An avid traveler, he is also a recognized air travel industry expert in Canada and serves on a regional board for a Canadian crowdfunding nonprofit.
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!