Triad Startup Weekend
Friday, November 6 - 8, 2015
Friday, November 6 - 8, 2015
Event starts at 5:30 pm
525 Vine Street
54 Hours of collaboration, fun and high speed progress toward your next Startup!
Friday November 6th
Saturday November 7th
Sunday November 8th
Wake Forest Angell Center for Entrepreneurship (WF-ACE) (1998-Present). Executive Professor and founding director of the Wake Forest University ACE, including it’s Family Business Initiative.
• Affiliate Professor, Bordeaux School of Business (2001-Present) Faculty appointment to teach entrepreneurship.
• Affiliate Professor, Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (2003 – Present). Faculty appointment to teach entrepreneurship
• Family Business Initiative (1995-1998). Director of University of South Dakota-School of Business state-wide program designed to improve the success of family businesses through life-long learning, research, consulting, and other out-reach activities.
• University of South Dakota (1997-1998). Appointed to a faculty position as an assistant professor, School of Business, and USD Graduate School.
• Entrepreneur/Family Business Consultants (E-FBC) (1995-Present). Principal of E-FBC that provides interdisciplinary consulting services (strategy, family business issues, facilitation, etc.) to regional and international organizations.
• SBDC (1992-1995). As part of a research assistantship at Texas Tech I presented seminars and provided organizational counseling services.
• McGuffey’s Inc. (1990-1991). Founder and CEO of five-store retail chain dealing in discounted catalogue clothing. Business sold in 1991.
• $10 Shoppe (1986-1990). Founder and CEO of fifteen store one price clothing chain located in Texas.
• The Hollywood, Inc. (1972-1990). CEO of five-store moderate ladies apparel chain.
• Ernst & Young (1969-1972). Management consultant dealing in M&A, system design, and cost studies within health care organizations, utilities, manufacturing firms, and governments.
• Army Test and Evaluation Command (1967-1969). Transportation test officer.
• Texas Instruments (1966-1967). Control administrator for pricing and compliance.
Coaches and Mentors
Associate, M&A, Private Equity, Contract & Corporate Matters, Small Businesses, PE Firms and Corporations
Associate Vice Chancellor for Economic Engagement at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Thinking and Creating: I am happiest when I am solving a problem and achieving a goal that moves things closer toward defined objectives. Marketing strategy, research, and market analysis - I am great at the discovery, definition and design of new products, their introductions, merchandising and packaging. I am an expert at the Lean Product Development process that focuses on defining core assumptions and testing for validation. Work exceptionally well with corporate & product identity creation and standards. I eat trade shows, branding and advertising ideas for breakfast.
Industry experience includes: Marketing, branding, graphic design, wide format printing, and industrial design of consumer products, transportation, furniture, industrial equipment, trade show displays, building products, healthcare and mortgage lending products.
A native of Virginia Beach, Virginia, Mr. Funchess has lived in the Triad area since 1993.
Mr. Funchess holds Bachelor of Administrative Science degrees in Accounting and Management from Guilford College. He has been active in many civic projects in the areas of education and entrepreneurship, founded or chaired several local civic groups in entrepreneurship and is a member of the Greensboro Rotary. Mr. Funchess also served on the Board of Advisors for the UNCG Bryan School of Business and Economics, Greensboro College, School of Business Advisory Council, two private company boards and the Board of Advisors for BATON (a division of the NC Biotech Center). Mr. Funchess has also served on US Senator Kay Hagan’s Small Business Advisory Committee, Chairman for the Friends of Scouting Campaign. He and his wife, Barbara, reside in Guilford County, North Carolina with their three children, Chris, Zack, Sam, Jr. His interests include family, mountain biking, scuba-diving, and music.
In his spare time, Josh is also a partner at RootLevel Labs, where he has spent the last 4 years actively helping build and launch startups. Josh has a proven ability to build and lead high-performance teams in rapidly changing environments, as well as to design innovative ways to optimize revenue and profitability from new and existing business models. When he’s not manning the helm, you can usually find him outdoors trailblazing in his Jeep, hanging from a cliff, or hiking with the office’s best friend and security dog, Kona.
Event Sponsors, and Partners
The Triad Startup Weekend team is grateful for the support of local community partners without whom this event would not be possible.
Learn how to become a sponsor here.
Techstars Startup Weekend Triad is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here